With 2018 just around the corner, I have some exciting news!
Once again, I’m hosting a Bible reading challenge on Facebook – but with a special addition…
Each day, after reading an assigned chapter from the Bible, you’ll be encouraged to also consider that day’s entry from Oswald Chambers’ devotional classic, My Utmost for His Highest .
This book has been changing lives for nearly a century (including mine!), and I’m excited to share it with you.
Here at the blog, I’ll be writing weekly about entries that speak deeply to me, and throughout the year, author friends will stop by with guest posts sharing their My Utmost thoughts as well.
It’s all part of a year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of Oswald’s extraordinary life. I hope you’ll be a part!
Why Add a Devotional?
Perhaps you’re wondering why I would add a devotional. Here’s a video sharing my heart behind the addition, and a few words on how the reading challenge will work…
My Utmost Bible Reading & Reflection Challenge
To help you get the most out of MY UTMOST 2018, be sure to SIGN UP for the FREE JOURNAL created for our time together.
While you may choose to only do the Bible reading (or just the devotional reading), you’ll find space to write down your reflections on both. When you receive the journal, print and place it in a binder for easy use.
Get Your FREE Journal!
Sign up for my email list and receive a FREE Bible Reading Journal!
Filled with practical tips and space to record time in God's Word, the MY UTMOST Journal also has room for devotional reflections.
With your Bible and journal in hand, you’ll need a copy of the devotional as well.
Though you can read the daily entries online at www.Utmost.org, I highly recommend purchasing a hard copy of the book so that you can underline and highlight to make it your own.
My Utmost for His Highest comes in two different versions – classic and updated language. The CLASSIC version is my favorite, but the 1930 language can be a little thick at times. If you’re new to Oswald (or have struggled to read his writing in the past), I suggest getting the UPDATED edition.
· My Utmost for His Highest – Classic Edition
· My Utmost for His Highest – Updated Language Edition[These affiliate links will take you to hardcover editions which last better, but paperback versions are available as well – Classic and Updated.]
Get a copy of the Bible reading schedule HERE. Save the pdf, and print a copy to tuck in your Bible for easy reference.
How to Approach Your Daily Reading
This year-long program isn’t a religious exercise. We aren’t reading the Bible and devotional to gain brownie points with God. This challenge is intended to help us make room for God to speak into our lives.
If you miss a day, don’t give up! We’re not aiming for perfection, but progression. Our goal is to cultivate a daily habit.
Here’s how I suggest you approach your time alone with Jesus…
1. Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to remove any preconceived ideas or biases so that you can receive a fresh word from the Lord.
2. Read the assigned scripture portion slowly until something speaks to you.
- In journal, write the verse(s) word-for-word, including the reference.
- Write down how it impressed you.
3. Do the same as you read the daily entry from My Utmost for His Highest.
- If something stands out, write down the phrase word-for-word.
- Respond to what you sense God saying.
4. Take it all to the Lord in prayer.
5. Share what God spoke to you by leaving a comment at Facebook’s daily assignment thread:
- For Bible response, note verse reference.
- For devotional response, note entry’s date.
Whether you are reading a chapter from the Bible or the daily entry from My Utmost for His Highest, or both, I know the Lord is going to speak to your heart. God has a word for you, my friend!
Be sure to “Follow” my personal page on Facebook or Twitter so you’re certain to receive the daily reading assignments. Then stop back to share on social media or here on the blog – I can’t wait to learn from what God teaches you!
And please, invite a friend to come along – there’s nothing sweeter than journeying towards God with someone you love.[Affiliate links are used in this post which pay a small commission upon purchase without costing you extra.]
<<Read Week 1 – Blessed to Be a Blessing
I’d love to hear from you…Will you be joining us for MY UTMOST? I sure hope so!